I enjoy helping with Maths (also working on self confidence and problem-solving skills at the same time)
My name is Dr Duncan James and I tutor/coach Maths in Poole, Dorset. My goal is making Maths easier for all levels. I have helped students:- pass Entrance Exams with distinction; get the grade they really need for College or University; achieve a crucial C grade for future job prospects; minimise the effort to get A* grades at GCSE, iGCSE and A-Level to free up revision time for other subjects. Whatever your level, I will improve your performance.
"There is a sense of fun, I am a positive person and my maths tutorials are tailored to individual learning styles. My passion is to unlock a student's potential in maths and also encourage a confidence that transfers to a student's whole life."
You are welcome to contact me
You can phone on 07757 574942 or email on email@example.com. If you want to make a payment I have a payment page.
Availability for the 2017/18 academic year
- I have two planned sabbatical years when I will not be maths tutoring. UPmaths (my online maths resource) will grow, from being a few videos and articles for my students to use between tutorials, into a complete learning resource. I expect to spend 2017/18 doing "behind the scenes" preparations, then 2018/19 creating the resources and doing a full editing and proof-reading cycle ready for a launch in September 2019.
- So, until September 2019 I only have limited availability for one-to-one tutorials. Examples of where I can still help are: strong students who want a couple of sessions to get an alternative perspective on difficult topics or; students still well away from exam time who just have one or two things they are finding difficult-to-understand at school.
Online and home-visit tutorials
- First tutorial guarantee: there is no charge if the first session does not work out for any reason.
- Tutoring is done with a mixture of home-visit tutorials, online tutorials and tailored homework. I offer effective support with the whole syllabus and importantly also with how to do effective self-study.
- The tutorials focus on using a few skills to answer any question. This gives less to remember and improved confidence due to the greater repetition.
My "mission statement" is to give my students:
- More confidence.
- Improved exam results.
- Life-long improvements in mathematical understanding.
- Life-long improvements in problem-solving skills.
- How much? £45 an hour home-visit and £33.75 online.
- How do I pay? If it is a home-visit you can pay me in person. Alternatively, there are various ways to pay online including cash for home-visits, credit and debit cards, PayPal and bank transfers.
- When? Flexible including weekday evenings and weekends.
- Where? Home visits possible if you live in or near the Canford Cliffs/Lilliput area of Poole.
- Online? If you want online tutorials all you need is a computer and an internet connection!
- Which exams? I tutor regularly for many exams including Canford Scholarship and Entrance Exams, Grammar School Entrance, Foundation GCSE, Higher GCSE, iGCSE, AS-Level, A-Level.
- How? Every student is different and so every tutorial is different. I believe my job is to find unique ways to bring the best out of every student.
I enjoy supporting in these three situations:
- (1) Tutoring regularly for at least a year. I am keen to do this if this is important for the student (and not just the parent).
- (2) Tutoring on an occasional basis from an early age can create a large, sustainable improvement in mathematical ability. An initial run of more regular tutorials is helpful to rebuild some fundamentals.
- (3) Just a few tutorials (preferably at least two) before an exam can help relieve pressure during revision-time.
Read more about my teaching approach.
Read some feedback from students/parents.
I have a PhD, years of teaching experience and a track record of unlocking massive performance gains in my students. However, my approach is fundamentally about making the tutorials fun and relaxed. Successful people are often smiling, happy and relaxed even in the face of problems: my maths tutorials encourage this. If you want further insight into my positive approach to learning maths you might look at some of my maths videos.
A bit more information about me: I have experience of researching, teaching and marking exam papers in Maths and Science. In 1995 I completed my first degree in Physics. In 1999 I completed my PhD which included a mathematical treatment of acoustic scattering new to science. Prior to that I gained awards for Maths throughout my studies including winning the Maths Cup at a large secondary school. I often scored 100% in Maths tests/exams and now share the secrets of my success with my students. I enjoy working as a Maths Tutor and have a track-record of supporting students through their studies. Note, I always recommend telling the student that it is just a "try-out" and that they can decide whether to carry on with the tutoring after a couple of sessions.